Santa Cristina was originally introduced in 1946 as a Chianti Classico by Piero Antinori’s father, Niccolò. However, with the passage of the 1984 DOCG laws requiring lower vineyard yields, Chianti Classico grapes became so complex and rich that they required more aging than this fruity, fresh wine should have in order to maintain its style and character. With the 1987 vintage, Santa Cristina moved away from the Chianti Classico designation and with the 1994 vintage, Antinori began including 10% Merlot to the blend to add soft, open fruit nuances to the wines. High on a hill in Tuscany, not far from Siena and Perugia, rises the historic town of Cortona. On one side it is flanked by an open plain, and on the other is the hill and the village. One can enjoy the view of this beautiful panorama from the new Santa Cristina winery, which came into existence in 2006 with the goal of acknowledging and renewing the tradition of the wine known by the same name, 60 years after the release of its first vintage in 1946.